POISON ALERT: OPC warns of possible contaminants in street drug supply
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU READ ALL OF THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS CAREFULLY. Your access to and continued use of the Ontario Poison Centre website (having a URL www.ontariopoisoncentre.ca) (the "Site") of The Hospital for Sick Children ("SickKids") constitutes your acceptance of, and is conditional upon, your continued acceptance of and compliance with the following provisions. Please check back periodically as these terms and conditions may change from time to time. Your continued use of the Site will mean you accept those changes.
Last revised: November 2015
Copyright © 2015 The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Ontario, Canada. All rights reserved. All information on the Site (the "Information") is protected by copyright owned by The Hospital for Sick Children (SickKids) ("we", "us" or "our") or other contributors. Certain words, phrases, names, designs or logos used on the Site may constitute trade marks, service marks, official marks, or trade names of SickKids or other entities.
The Information on the Site, including but not limited to newsletters, articles, instructional sheets, opinions, and views, is provided for educational information purposes only. It is not designed or intended to constitute medical advice or to be used for diagnosis. Due to unique individual needs, you should consult your personal physician to determine the appropriateness of the Information for your specific situation and before making any decision regarding treatment or medication. Please consult with your physician before making any decision regarding treatment or medication. Online resources are not a substitute for the personalized judgment and care of a trained medical professional. The Information provided on the Site is not for emergency or crisis help. This Site is not monitored on a real-time basis. Do not submit to the Site any request for advice about an actual poisoning.
If you require advice about a poisoning or drug overdose call the Ontario Poison Centre directly at 1-800-268-9017. Seek emergency help immediately if someone stops breathing, collapses, has a seizure or requires emergency help for any reason.
If you require emergency help, contact your local emergency services: in Ontario, call 911 or your local emergency services go to your local hospital emergency room.
Any Information created by us is believed to be reliable when posted and may be changed from time to time without notice. You assume full responsibility for the use of the Information and rely on it at your own risk. The Information is supplied "AS IS" and may contain typographical or other errors. Certain portions of the Information may have been contributed by other persons and should not be assumed to have been reviewed or endorsed by us. SickKids does not guarantee or warrant the quality, accuracy, completeness, timeliness, appropriateness, or suitability of the Information. We also expressly disclaim all warranties, representations, and conditions regarding the use of the Site or the Information. We assume no obligation to update the Information or advise on further developments concerning the topics mentioned. Neither SickKids/Ontario Poison Centre nor the contributors of any Information are responsible for any damages whatsoever, arising out of or in connection with the use of the Site or your reliance on the Information, whether in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise.
Reference to, or mention of, specific products, processes, or services do not constitute or imply a recommendation or endorsement by us. Reasonable effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of drug doses; however, you should always confirm and follow the doses and schedules set out by the drug manufacturers. We do not accept responsibility for your reliance on any drug doses that may be set out on the Site.
Limitation of Liability
In no event shall SickKids/Ontario Poison Centre, its affiliates, its officers, directors, employees, staff, agents, licensors or their respective successors and assigns be liable for any special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages of any kind, including, without limitation, personal injury resulting from following any advice given on the Site, any loss or damages in the nature of or relating to lost business, lost savings, lost data or otherwise, regardless of the cause - and in no event shall any of those persons or entities be liable for damages exceeding $50.00 CDN - under this agreement, whether arising in contract (including fundamental breach), tort (including negligence), or otherwise. This limitation applies even if SickKids knew of or ought to have known of the possibility of such damages.
SickKids expressly disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions or conduct of any third-party user of the Site or any advertiser or sponsor of the Site (collectively, a "Third Party"). Under no circumstances shall SickKids or its officers, directors, employees, staff, agents, or licensors be liable for any injury, loss, damage (including special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages), or expense arising in any manner whatsoever, directly or indirectly, from (1) the acts, omissions, or conduct of a Third Party; or (2) any use or inability to use any materials, software, content, goods or services located at or made available at any website linked to or from the Site.
If you decide to access or use any linked website or content, materials, software, goods or services from any website linked to or from the Site, you do so entirely at your own risk.
You hereby release SickKids and its officers, directors, employees, staff, agents and their respective successors and assigns from any injury, loss, damages or expenses that you may incur, and agree not to assert any claims against them, arising directly or indirectly from your purchase or use of any products or services referenced by or made available through the Site or by third parties through the Site.
This is a Canadian website and its content is intended for Canadian residents only. The laws of the Province of Ontario shall govern this agreement and any dispute or claim based on your use of the Site or the information. You agree that any action or proceeding related to this agreement or your use of the Site shall only be brought by you in the courts of the Province of Ontario.
a) Personal Health Information
The Ontario Poison Centre also receives, as part of the "circle of care", personal health information from other health information custodians for purposes of obtaining consultation and advice on the care and treatment of individuals suspected of having ingested or been exposed to a toxic substance. An overview of the meaning of "circle of care" is provided on the website of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario: www.ipc.on.ca/images/Resources/fact-03-e.pdf
b) Personal Information
Personal information is any information that can be used to distinguish, identify, or contact a specific individual. Business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers as published in telephone directories, are not considered personal information.
Collection, Use, Disclosure, and Retention of Personal Information
Ontario Poison Centre respects your privacy; we do not sell, rent, or trade personal information about our Site users. We collect, use, and disclose personal information only with your consent, and after identifying the purposes for which the personal information is collected, or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law. Generally, personal information is collected to improve the operation of the Site, process requests, and/or respond to feedback. We also use contact information to send periodic e-mail alerts or bulletins to subscribers who have opted to use this service.
We are accountable to you, and anyone from whom we collect personal information can expect that it will be carefully protected and that any use or disclosure of this information is subject to consent or as otherwise permitted or required by applicable law.
You may refuse the use of "cookies" by using the appropriate settings in your internet browser if you browser permits. However, by doing so you may be unable to use the full functionality of our Site.
Children under 13 must get permission from a parent before submitting any personal information to the Site.
SickKids urges all parents and legal guardians to supervise their children's exploration of the Internet and any online services, and to teach their children about protecting their personal information online. If you reside in the United States, we encourage you to visit http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/tech/tec08.shtm for more information about COPPA and children"s privacy.
We regularly review our privacy practices for our various activities, and update our policy. Information on our Site is updated regularly.
If at any time you wish to be excluded from future contacts, or to discuss our privacy options, email: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will accommodate your request.
The Hospital for Sick Children
555 University Avenue
3. Linking Policy
We make every effort to link to reliable websites that will be of benefit to our users; however, no link on the Site is a referral or endorsement of either the owner of the linked website or any product or service mentioned on it, as described in more detail above.
Linking TO ontariopoisoncentre.ca
ontariopoisoncentre.ca encourages other websites to link to the Site. Please refer to and use the following guidelines when setting up a link to the Site.
- Where appropriate, we encourage "deep linking" to relevant pages rather than to the Site's home page.
- Ontario Poison Centre and The Hospital for Sick Children do not endorse companies, products, or services, and strictly prohibit any suggestion of endorsement, recommendation, or superiority of one company, product, or service over another company, product, or service.
- Please do not frame the Site in your web template.
Linking FROM ontariopoisoncentre.ca
You are welcome to submit links to us for consideration, but we do not guarantee that we will link to your website.
4. Content Reuse Policy
All text, illustrations, animations, videos, and games on this Site are © 2015, The Hospital for Sick Children, Toronto, Canada.
You are welcome to print pages or PDFs from the Site, without modification, for your own use or for patient and family education. We recommend that you do NOT save PDFs from the Site to your own computer or system, as the content included on the Site is frequently updated.
For purposes of review or promotion of the Site, you may quote short (no more than 100 words) sections of the Site without express permission. Please give an appropriate citation or acknowledgement and a link to the relevant page. Except as noted above, copying and publishing Site content to another website, e-newsletter, book, magazine, or other medium for any reason is forbidden without express permission.
Scraping of any content from this Site, whether automatically or manually, is strictly forbidden.
Students and educators may use Ontario Poison Centre content in presentations or reports, provided that an appropriate citation and link appears next to the reprinted material.
Author last name and initial. (Publication date). Article title. Retrieved from URL.
For articles with no author:
Article title. (Publication date). Retrieved from URL on date (if the article is likely to change)
International Committee of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE) style:
Author last name and initial. Article title [Internet]. Toronto: The Hospital for Sick Children; publication year [citation date]. Available from: URL
For articles with no author:
Article title [Internet]. Toronto: The Hospital for Sick Children; copyright [updated date; citation date]. Available from: URL
For proposed uses of the Information that are not listed here, please fill out and submit the request form available here: Reuse Permission Form
5. Illustrated Image Use Policy
- You should be an individual or a charity, a society, an institution or a trust existing exclusively for public benefit
- You may use Images for private purposes in education, teaching, academic study and research
- You may publish the Images in a book, article, thesis or booklet, provided that the publication is non-commercial in purpose, and of an educational, scholarly or academic nature
- You may make "one-time" use only
- Reproduction sizes for images must not exceed 5" x 7"
- All images must be credited as follows: © 2015 Ontario Poison Centre
- No copyright or proprietary right is conveyed with the use of any image supplied by Ontario Poison Centre
- Images may not be passed on for third-party use
- Images may not be cropped or changed or manipulated in any way (including written on or labeled) without written permission from Ontario Poison Centre
- Images may not be used in any way which could be considered to be deceptive or which could reflect unfavourably upon the good name or reputation of Ontario Poison Centre
Should your intended purpose of use fall outside of the above Terms (e.g. Image modification requests, publishing in high res), please contact Ontario Poison Centre by filing out and submitting the Permission Request Form.
6. Social Community Rules
SickKids encourages conversation and sharing on its social media channels, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube, Pinterest and blogs.
Nothing on the social media sites should be deemed as medical advice. Our administrators reserve the right to remove any post deemed inappropriate or offensive, without notice. Please understand that comments posted to this Page do not represent the opinions of ontariopoisoncentre.ca, SickKids, its directors, officers, employees, staff or affiliates.
Please be aware that what is posted online can remain online for many years to come. We encourage you to exercise caution when speaking about your medical condition or your child's medical condition. Please do not disclose personal information such as medical records, your location, financial information, etc.
We look forward to reading your comments, stories and links, and viewing your photos and videos. Thank you for joining the conversation.
The views and opinions expressed on the ontariopoisoncentre.ca social media pages reflect the thoughts of the online community members and not necessarily those of ontariopoisoncentre.ca (OPC), The Hospital for Sick Children, any of its corporate affiliates or directors, officers, employees or staff. We do not control the submitted content posted on the social media channels and as such, do not guarantee the accuracy, integrity or quality of such content.
You agree to not submit any content that:
1. is offensive as determined by OPC, in our discretion, including, without limitation, content that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
2. does not endorse any opinions expressed on this fan page;
3. could be harmful to minors;
4. harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
5. involves the transmission of "junk mail", "chain letters", or unsolicited mass mailing or "spamming";
6. promotes information that is false, misleading, illegal or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libellous;
7. infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights of any party including, without limitation, promoting an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacture-installed copy-protect devices, or providing pirated music or links to pirated music files;
8. contains restricted or password only access pages, or hidden pages or images (those not linked to or from another accessible page);
9. displays pornographic or sexually explicit material of any kind;
10. provides material that exploits people under the age of 18 in a sexual or violent manner, or solicits personal information from anyone under the age of 18;
11. provides instructional information about illegal activities such as making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
12. solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other users;
13. you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as inside information, proprietary and confidential information);
14. engages in commercial activities and/or sales, such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, and pyramid schemes, without our prior written consent; and
15. contains or will contain any disabling mechanism or protection feature designed to prevent its use, including any clock, timer, counter, computer virus, worm, software lock, drop dead device, Trojan horse routine, trap door, time bomb or any other codes, designs, routines or instructions that may be used to access, modify, replicate, distort, delete damage or disable the Content, any Services or this Site and any world wide web pages or any operating system software or hardware on which such Content, Service or Site is operated or displayed except as specifically designed into the Content.
return to top
Published and last reviewed