Cannabis can be consumed through smoking, vaporizing the plant-based product, or through edibles (store-bought and home-made candy or baked goods). The amount of THC (the chemical that causes the “high” effect) in edibles can be highly variable, especially in unregulated products. Unregulated means that the products do not come from an authorized provincial or territorial seller.
High in children: they are more at risk for severe poisoning. Ingestions can be life-threatening.
- Can range from mild drowsiness to coma.
- If a child has ingested a cannabis-containing product, take them to nearest emergency department.
- If an adult has had an unintentional exposure to cannabis and is concerned, call the Poison Centre for further advice.
- This product should be locked up and out of sight with all of your other household hazards and medicines.
- Every case is different. OPC is available 24hrs/day to provide information for your individual situation. Call 1-800-268-9017 (Toll-free) or 416-813-5900 (Local).