Muscle creams and rubs are used to soothe aches and pains in adults. They usually contains one or some of the following active ingredients which can be toxic if swallowed:
- Methyl salicylate (AKA “wintergreen oil”). Contains very high concentration of aspirin.
- Camphor: can cause seizures.
- Menthol: can cause severe drowsiness.
- Eucalyptus: can cause severe drowsiness.
Poisonous if swallowed: severity dependent on amount.
Low in taste amounts.
High in larger amounts.
- Can range from mild upset stomach to severe symptoms (aspirin poisoning, seizures).
- Provide something to drink for dilution.
- For eye exposures, rinse eyes for at least 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Call the Poison Centre for further advice.
- This product should be locked up and out of sight with all of your other household medicines.
- Always keep this product in its original container.
- Every case is different. OPC is available 24hrs/day to provide information for your individual situation. Call 1-800-268-9017 (Toll-free) or 416-813-5900 (Local).