VapoRub is a topical cough medicine that is applied to the chest to help relieve cough and congestion. It usually contains a combination of camphor, menthol and eucalyptus oil, which can be poisonous if swallowed.
Poisonous if swallowed: severity dependent on amount.
Low-risk in taste amounts.
High-risk in larger amounts.
- Can range from mild upset stomach to severe symptoms including seizures.
- Provide something to drink for dilution.
- For eye exposures, rinse eyes for at least 15 minutes with lukewarm water.
- Call the Poison Centre for further advice.
- This product should be locked up and out of sight with all of your other household medicines.
- Always keep this product in its original container.
- Every case is different. OPC is available 24hrs/day to provide information for your individual situation. Call 1-800-268-9017 (Toll-free) or 416-813-5900 (Local).