Echinacea can be found in herbal supplement and sometimes in topical ointments. While it is promoted to treat cold/flu and to relieve pain and inflammation, it is not approved for these conditions by Health Canada.
Short-term use of these products in adults and unintentional ingestion in children is not expected to cause serious effects. Allergic reactions may occur in those with hypersensitivity to Echinacea.
- Possible upset stomach in higher doses (discomfort, nausea, isolated episode of vomiting or diarrhea).
- Provide something to drink for dilution.
- If you have questions, call the Poison Centre.
*Note: visit the Health Canada website for the database of approved natural health products:
- This product should be locked up and out of sight with all of your other household medicines.
- Always keep this product in its original container.
- Every case is different. OPC is available 24hrs/day to provide information for your individual situation. Call 1-800-268-9017 (Toll-free) or 416-813-5900 (Local).